Time continues to fly by, faster than I can write about it- or even take pictures anymore! So here are 2 big stories, a baby update and several shorter ones mixed in, with lots of pictures.
#1-
We celebrated Blaise's birthday (May 7th) with our dear friends in Indiana on a camping trip with "rabid raccoons."
![]() |
| Random raccoon picture... the ones we actually saw were fat raccoons, apparently this campground keeps them nice and "healthy." |
It was a blast, as usual. The campground was very nice, but we discovered we weren't the only campers... the first night it wasn't as noticeable, all we saw were raccoon footprints all over our coolers and tablecloth in the morning when we got up and moving. The 2nd night and the 3rd night... well, you really couldn't avoid them. First mistake was putting the kiddos to bed and hanging out by the campfire without turning on the big spot-light we'd brought with us. It was very relaxing and a nice end to the day. Until I heard footsteps on the gravel behind us. Expecting to see one of our sweet children, who were having a hard time going to sleep, I turned a flashlight on and was quite surprised to see- not more than 15 feet behind us and between us and the kids a raccoon investigating our biggest cooler. This was just a little surprise and after some joking about it, I reassured my friend that, "If it comes back now, with the light on and all 4 of us sitting here not so quietly, it's probably rabid." Famous last words... very soon after that we spotted another raccoon sneaking across the creek towards our campsite from another direction. The evening quickly escalated into raccoon chasing excitement. Armed with gravel, upon hearing the raccoon on the gravel behind us again, Cos turns with fury in his very being and runs (faster than I've seen him run in years) after the raccoon up the hill, yelling, "I'll get you buddy!" He successfully cornered that particular raccoon up a tree, less than 10 feet from our tent. We called it quits and turned in for an "early" night, hoping desperately not to have to get up in the night.
The next night our friends the rabid raccoons came back earlier to visit- so the kids even go to see one of them. After it got fully dark and the kids were all in tents, I went to check on our little guys and remind them to lay down and go to sleep. Cos went to check on their littlest too. Cullen and Rachel were sitting by the picnic table (we'd switched campsites to avoid being flooded with the rain that was in the area). Rachel saw something behind Cullen and figured it was either Cos or myself sneaking around trying to scare them. Nope- it was a raccoon, close enough to Cullen he could have calmly put his hand down and patted it on the head. Rachel was frantically pointing, "It's right there!!!" Cullen is casually looking behind him, saying, "What? What's right where?" As he gets up and takes a few slow steps away. Thus Raccoon hunting round 2 began. Both of the guys armed themselves again with rocks and all the best flashlights and circled our campsite, occasionally shouting, throwing a few rocks and shining lights everywhere (the campground was empty by this point, which probably just drew the raccoons out more.) Rachel and I are standing near our fire and I kept thinking, "Okay, guys over there, flashlights over there, these raccoons are totally going to come startle us..." Finally we sat down- can only stand for so long you know, after spending the day camping, hiking, creek-walking, etc. Sure enough, within seconds of us sitting down a raccoon was at my elbow, pawing at one of our bigger trunks full of gear. Another early night and we didn't even get to play Settlers of Katan on this trip! No sooner were all the adults zipped securely in tents than the raccoons started fighting one another outside of the tent! I'm told they actually bumped into our friends tent and when they shined a light out at them to "chase" them away, there were at least 3 fighting by our fire over whatever scraps the kiddos dropped.
#1a-
Of course, Blaise also wanted a birthday party at home, with a cool cake... we finally got around to organizing that nearly a month later and he had his friend Matthew over for a splash in the baby pool party. I think they all had a great time. The cool cake has a pool of Jello Jiggler in the middle with plenty of candy decorating it.
We had field day with the local homeschool group on May 11th and called that our last day of school. It was a great year and I am loving the homeschool life. We are now enjoying our summer of reading and fun and also getting geared up to do 1st grade AND Kindergarten, oh AND nursing newborn in the fall. Should be a fun and busy time.
#1c-
Scott and Blaise enjoyed another season with Victory Sports playing baseball this spring. We played Blaise up, so they could be on the same team and I was the assistant coach... I didn't think head coach would be a good plan for someone in their 3rd trimester. It's coach pitch/tee-ball and they both did great. Blaise frequently refused to run the bases- if he hit the ball straight to one of the other teams players he would assume they would throw him out and not bother- nevermind that in this league at this level, it's kind of up to them whether or not they actually are "out," because the whole side bats every inning and they don't keep score.
#1d-
My Uncle Todd came to Clemson for a family event and brought his family, so we had a nice day in Clemson visiting with my cousins and Uncle Todd and Aunt Kathy and Aunt Kathy's family. Can't beat Clemson Ice Cream :) and my boys had a great time playing baseball with Uncle Todd, bet he was pretty tired when we left.
#2-
In early June we took our last big driving/visiting trip. We headed up to NY for a weekend to see friends and family, with our usual stops in Maryland to break up the drive. Conveniently we got to see LOTS of people, which of course, is the whole point :) I'm going to go with less words, more pictures for this one...
We stayed with my Grandma Jill and her sister "Granny" Annie in NY. Our first full day though, we headed upstate to meet up with some camp friends at Camp Pattersonville (shameless plug- if you have a 7-14 year old, it's the single BEST camp on the face of the planet, if at all possible, send them, http://www.camppattersonville.org/home/). It was kind of a rainy day, but I figure I've survived that at camp before, so off we went. We enjoyed a very short visit with some very good friends, who if they happen to read this will get a real kick out of where the title for this blog post comes from if they can mange to read that far. Unfortunately, in wanting to visit and having 4 little ones and remembering suddenly how many mosquitoes are at camp early in the season, I totally forgot to get pictures. But I was so thrilled with how comfortable my big boys were at camp- they ran off with DZ (who is the same age as Blaise) and played the whole time.
Then we visited with Uncle Guy, Aunt Fran and my cousin Emily and her family. What a great visit- it's been a while!
Jessica was also in town so we finally got to see little Temperance again. She's growing and cute as can be... also pretty stubborn and still looks exactly like her daddy, who she gets to meet in person VERY SOON!
Uncle Doc kindly threw a cookout party for the Snider family and we got to see many we hadn't seen in a long long time and many we'd seen fairly recently. Uncle Rich looks a lot like my Dad (aside from his pony-tail)... hadn't really noticed that before, though as my other cousin and I observed a year or so ago, all 5 of the Snider brothers are looking more alike as they age- it's kind of wild.
On the drive back, we made a special stop at Cullen's Uncle Buddy's to see the family and Grandma in particular. The boys wasted no time, after the dog jumped in the pool, getting soaked themselves.
#2a-
Ah... finally back home. But we left Scott in Maryland with Cullen's parents for his annual solo visit. Then had a crazy week ourselves, teaching afternoon swimming lessons and then literally running straight to an evening VBS and finally getting home around 9pm. Blaise was up pretty late all week. Michael was pretty offended we wouldn't let him come every night (he did get to come the night Cullen was out of town), he says, "I big."
#2b-
We survived and Cullen's parents brought Scott back. They had a delightful 2 night boat trip, enjoyed all kinds of junk food, and hit the jackpot with foreign coins while sorting baby bottles for the Care Center Fundraiser. Now to finish getting everything ready for Baby El and rest while we still can.
#3-
Baby El seems to be doing great... still very active. I'm pretty much exactly the same size, shape, and everything else that I have been with the boys and this pregnancy has been most like Scott and Michael. So... I'm guessing it's another boy. Finally got out of Michael that he thinks it's a boy too, the rest are hoping for a girl, as is most of the rest of the family. Although, the extended family on the Snider side seems to think a 5th boy wouldn't be that surprising. I did mention that my dad was the oldest of 5 boys right? Anyway... go make your guess, before I enter it for you ;) http://expectnet.com/game.php the game name is ElephantKeen. If you think you need to see me and you haven't recently, look at the pictures above... there are quite a few.
We are on down to our last month-ish until we meet this new little one. It's funny, in the past I've always figured the baby would come around a week after the due date, but after Daniel came almost 2 weeks early, I don't even know what to guess. I wouldn't mind an August baby though, so everyone has their own month- though I think 8 days late might be a stretch.
Anyone local reading this... if you're interested in bringing meals after the baby comes that would be fabulous! Also, if you are going to be in town and wouldn't mind suddenly having 4 extra boys in your home for about 24 hours (or if you'd like to come here and hang with them-kind of complicated since I know no one really has space for 4 extra car seats, so you'd totally be pinned down) we'll be looking for someone to call when labor happens if it happens before 9am on July 18th.
#3a-
A couple of weeks, okay, maybe more than a month ago now, I said, "Last one in their PJ's is a rotten corn dog." It's an old phrase from Camp Patt. Guess I wasn't really thinking, because boy did these boys latch onto that phrase. Now they race to be the First Hot Dog instead of the Rotten Corn Dog. There are worse things right :) I have to admit it totally makes me laugh every time... which is pretty much at least twice a day.
I'm tired... all that updating. I'll add captions tomorrow- if I remember, otherwise, enjoy it as it is and just guess what the captions should be.

3 comments:
Wow, that was a lot to catch up on...but I enjoyed it!
So I don't know if I ever told you that we tell Jackson he can't be on a team like Blaise & Scott until he can stop having fits? He always talks about that...I'd really like him to do something next year, depending on his behavior.
I'll def. bring you a meal after the baby comes...and plan a day to keep the boys like last time.
Mind if I steal your corn dog phrase sometime? :)
P.S. We can be your back-up if you can't find anyone else to watch the boys when you go into labor!
All that sounds exhausting even if you weren't pregnant!
Post a Comment