Scott's officially 3 1/2... where does the time go? He is doing well. I am trying to figure out what to do with him this year in the way of "school." I know we don't want to mess with a detailed academic pre-school curriculum... probably won't mess with anything detailed until K. But since we have no intention of sending him off to pre-school, but do intend to homeschool when he hits school-age, I'm tossing around different ideas for home-pre-school this year. So, any of you homeschooling friends want to share your pre-school experiences? I think it's funny when people ask what we're going to do if we don't send him to pre-school, and how we know what consitutes "school." I don't really know how to answer those questions... but thinking back to my own pre-school experience in Mrs. Woolsey's basement, I remember playing on the monkey bars, building with blocks, playing with play-doh, and there was one day when I guess we were making something to eat and we got to peel carrots (random I know.) All those things he already does at home anyway... so I guess mostly home-pre-school is mostly just living life and being more aware of what exactly we do everyday?
Back to Scott... Scott still loves to be read to, and is still too much of a perfectionist to do much in the way of attempting to write or draw. I did convince him today that he could draw a face... and he has progressed to writing the t's in his name by himself. His vocabulary grows constantly... be careful what you say around him, he will use your phrases- usually in proper context, within a week or so. I've started being more aware of what we read in library books. He likes to show-off when he's around the grandparents in particular and talks like he's a very important grown-up, very matter of fact, complete with gestures and everything.
Physically, he's still a strong, rough little boy. Loves to play outside, loves to play sports (baseball, football, soccer, and now basketball), jumps on everything, runs constantly, and now picks up and "tackles" Blaise. There's no doubt they are both boys :) He's still fairly tall and skinny- we are thinking he's had a bit of a growth spurt this summer. His feet have grown practically right out of his sandals and he seems taller- we'll see here in a few weeks when we start trying on his long pants :)
1 comment:
I sent you to preschool to gain social skills, increase your attention span and to give you a head start with the alphabet and numbers. Most children went to preschool and I did not want you to be behind the others. I guess some of these reasons are not relevent to home schooling. I think you will just have to be more aware of opportunities to socialize the children which you already do. Love you
Post a Comment