Our 4 year old boy is still a big guy... weighing in at 39lbs (76%) and standing 42 inches high (85%). He had his check-up last week and did get one shot. He was quite a trooper. I think the nurse was a bit impressed. He decided he wanted it in his leg, tensed up big time as she gave it to him and relaxed completely instantly, when she was finished. Never said a word about it. Until we got home and he reminded me that I said he could have his last Winnie-the-Pooh lollipop from Disney World.
Scott still loves to be outside... sometimes he just wants to run like crazy all over the backyard, sometimes he sits and draws with chalk, or plays with his trucks, but usually he wants to play ball, and frequently it's baseball. We are now progressing towards running the bases after batting (which is why he got a set of bases for his birthday... a story in itself) and playing catch (with his glove he got for Christmas.) He's getting better at batting and is doing more tracking the ball than swinging and counting on the pitcher to make contact. He still gets totally stressed out after a few misses or after something doesn't go his way- still the same Scotty Boy we love. He has gotten much better at handling himself, when he gets frustrated, but he's still got a long way to go. His other motor skills this year are running and using his arms, rather than running with his arms out flapping in the wind and hopping on one foot, which he's improved to hopping on either foot (he's especially proud of these skills.)
He's also been working on small motor skills and in the past 3 months has really gotten into writing. Yes, the boy who would spell his name for anyone, but would NOT even attempt to write it will now write his name... and just about anything else you ask him to write (letter by letter.) Waiting for meals in Disney World he spent a lot of time just writing letters all over the kids menus with Grandma (she's probably a biased reference, but she was impressed.) Now that he can write letters (or rather, is willing to write letters) he's been writing all his own Thank You notes and sometimes can copy what I have written, which is a lot easier on me than sitting there and telling him after every letter what comes next.
Scott is still a book-worm. He keeps very busy most of the day, but does love to be read to. He's started doing some reading. Mostly memorization at this stage. I've been having him help me read, which means he gets to read 2 or 3 words... so he knows a handful of sight words well (the, and, I, a, big.) He knows all the letter sounds and is starting to try and figure out phonics some. I've got a book from the library we are starting to work through. He's very interested right now, so we'll go with it. Meanwhile, my brain is occupied trying to figure out his learning patterns and what will work for him for homeschooling, when the time comes (what an abundance of materials to choose from!)
He's a sweet little boy most of the time. He went through a very aggressive stage for a few weeks in the fall, but seems to have come out of it for the most part. He likes to take care of people... yes, he's a firstborn, he likes to be in charge and boss people around (particularly Blaise.) He has an imaginary friend, Picky, he tests a lot of things out on her. Her parents both work all the time, so he has to fill in for her daddy sometimes. When she's not here, Scott makes frequent phone-calls to Picky to say I love you. He always talks in this really cute, matter-of-fact, I'm important, tone of voice. Oh to hang on to these cute days forever.
This morning, when he woke up and I told him, "Happy Birthday!" He told me that no, it wasn't his birthday yet- he didn't have any cake :) He's had his cake and is asleep after informing Blaise and Daddy that he's 4 now and he still can sleep in this bed and, "even though I'm 4 now, this shirt still fits on me." Wow, I love that 4 year old boy and I thank God everyday for the blessing his is in our lives... our helper, our joy, and yes, the source of plenty of struggles :) We love you Scott.
1 comment:
That is so cute. He's at that Christopher Robin stage of life.
Post a Comment