Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Baseball

Baseball season is in full swing... and we are loving almost all aspects of it. Almost, because as Scott informed me at lunch a week or so ago, "Mommy, I don't like pollen." Nope, pollen is no fun. Allergies seem to have hit him pretty hard this spring and he is now taking Clariton regularly, hopefully only until the pollen settles down in a few more weeks and not year round like Daddy.


The good... we get to play outside more. We've been walking the neighborhood fairly regularly again and have gotten to spend several afternoons playing with neighbors. The boys really like it and ask everyday now if we can walk to so and so's house. Specifically, Daniel's house, and they always clarify, "Not our Daniel though, the other Daniel." As if I didn't understand.

Then of course, there's the baseball. :) Scott's tee ball season kicked off last week. It was supposed to start the week before that, but it rained... talk about a disappointed little boy.
So, we started last week. I am coaching. It's crazy, but I love it. Playing with little kids and listening to them and watching them try and figure out life is still one of my favorite things... and I am really missing my camp days this spring.

Scott is enjoying playing baseball too. Though, I think we have a problem... since we don't own a tee, he's never hit off of a tee before... he's not very good at it. He can hit a pitch, no problem, but the tee he's just not used to. Hopefully he can figure it out before the first game, but thankfully, this is the most non-competitive league I've ever heard of. I love it. They are passionate about baseball and introducing it so that kids learn to play and really like it, but more importantly, they are a ministry and the real purpose is to share the gospel, through the "wordless book" or in this case, the "colorful ball" and of course, through modeling the love of Christ for the players and their families.


Oh, and it's not just playing baseball, but also watching! We took a trip down to Clemson this past Sunday, for the baseball game. It was hot in the stands, but we enjoyed the 5 innings we stayed for. The boys, all 4 of them watched the game for almost a whole inning. The bigger ones enjoyed the game, the littler ones got sick of sitting in the stands, they were hot and tired and kind of cranky... apparently we still need to teach them "There's no crying in baseball."


Of course, by the time we were ready to take a nice Clemson family picture Daniel was asleep. The boys were very excited when we headed over to the 55 Exchange for some Clemson ice cream after the game... Blaise chose pink, and Scott chose mint chocolate chip (green), then they gave each other a taste (Blaise even shared a bite with Michael too) - I love it when they do sweet things for each other :)

No comments: