Friday, September 21, 2012

Back to School!

The beginning of our school year was not exactly what I expected this year. I didn't even get to take an official back to school picture and at this point it seems silly to try- already into our 6th week.

Closest thing to a Back to School picture- Clemson's first game day of the season.

As we were planning for our school year, we were expecting a baby in July.  I considered starting before the baby came, but was vetoed by the principal, because well, one week and then a break for a baby wouldn't  exactly establish a good routine anyway.  He's right of course.  But then... it ended up not being just a week, or even just 2 weeks... Usually, well, at least last year, which was our first, we started the first week in August.  I like that start date- I've enjoyed the summer and am totally ready for a more structured routine by then.  Teaching 1st grade really doesn't happen from a hospital room across town though, and definitely not teaching 1st grade AND kinder.  We pushed our start date to the 2nd week in August, just a couple of days before the public schools started.  That didn't work either, because I ended up getting pretty sick (long story, 6 pages in Word, but I might post it eventually) for about 3 weeks.  The principal did fill in and help us not fall too far behind during those weeks.  At any rate, we are well underway now and here's a snapshot of what we're doing this year.  Along with a couple of quotes from a "back to school" interview I did with them, an idea I borrowed from http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.net/.  It should be noted, our season in life is obvious because both Scott and Blaise answered the question, "When I was little I used to..." with "eat milk."

Scott- 1st Grade
Math- Singapore Math 2A
Reading/Phonics- Drawn Into the Heart of Reading Level 2/3, Explode the Code (flying through Bk 4 and planning to go through Bk 6 this year)
Writing/Grammar- First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind, Level 2
History- Story of the World Volume 1, and Activity Guide
Science- Real Science 4 Kids, Pre-Level 1 Biology

Scott- he only smiles for pictures if he's with the baby.

"The coolest person on earth is Carly."
"When I grow up I want to play football."
What makes you feel loved?  "Hugs and kisses."

Blaise- Kinder
Math- Singapore Math 1A
Reading/Phonics- The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, Explode the Code (Bk 2)
Writing/Grammar- A Reason for Handwriting (A), First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind, Level 1
History and Science we all do together, so they are the same as Scott.

Blaise- he was busy playing Kids of Carcassonne.

"The coolest person on earth is Grandma."
"When I grow up I want to be a fireman."
What makes you feel loved?  "Presents."

Michael- Preschool (3 years old)
I've been doing some loose Letter-of-the-Week activities with him, most notably a weekly "Storytime" since I don't feel like it's a good idea for us to go to Storytime at the library anymore.
He pulls old workbooks to write in.
I collected a box full of quiet activities for him and Daniel to play with while I'm working with the brothers and he's enjoying those a lot- especially stuffing pipe cleaners in colanders.

Michael

"The coolest person on earth is Jesus."
"When I grow up I want to... I not growing up."
What makes you feel loved?  "Jesus."

Daniel- 21 months
He hangs out... tries to do whatever Michael is doing, or draws with chalk, or... who knows?
He's getting ready to potty-train sometime in the next month or so, when I decide I'm ready to help him out a little more.
Daniel- aka "Smiley Boy."

RoseMaire- newborn
Nurse, poop, sleep... with lots of cuddling thrown in there too.
She's already learned to smile!

RoseMarie

We're also reading through Character Sketches, Volume 1 and trying to do more character training with them this year.  Plenty of memory verses everywhere.  We're reading the book of Luke in the mornings together in bite-size pieces.  I have a few odds and ends to add on for electives and just plain fun.

1st Field Trip to Sky Top Orchard.

My favorite so far is the Story of the World Activity Guide.  I'm still searching for the perfect science curriculum, but I'm not sure it exists... I'm adding a lot to this one to keep them interested.

An archaeological dig in the backyard from the Story of the World Activity Guide.  They loved it. 

No comments: