Thursday, July 14, 2011

Child-like Faith

A few weeks ago a friend mentioned that her 4 year old daughter wanted to ask Jesus into her heart (or something like that.) A conversation (Facebook) ensued about whether or not that would be real and at what age it would be real. I've been thinking about this very frequently.

Here's the rub- can a 4 year old have saving faith in Christ? I think they can, but certainly I'm willing to consider other opinions. I think they can, partly because I've been there... if I were to rehash my whole testimony in 4 sentences it would be as follows- There has not been a day in my memory that I have not known Christ as a friend and Father. At around age 12, I came to understand a bit more clearly the huge sacrifice Christ made on my behalf. Shortly after high school I realized that I had a bigger role to play in maintaining a real relationship with my Savior and I began living a changed life. I continue to see my shortcomings and understand His grace more fully daily.

I don't think a 4 year old can really grasp the magnitude of the sacrifice of Christ on our behalf, but that isn't to say that they love Jesus any less or that that same sacrifice doesn't count for them. Besides, doesn't Christ himself call us to child-like faith?

I remember a camp skit... yes, it always comes back to camp... The President Skit. It was from my first year as a counselor. There is a President sitting at his desk and various persons come in to speak with him. One doesn't consider himself worthy, one tries to use only very complex vocabulary, one has a list of what they want from him, one doesn't have time to be there talks quickly and leaves immediately, one is too tired and falls asleep... you get the idea. Finally a little child comes in with a teddy bear, sits down talks, listens, asks questions, enjoys being there... great skit.

At any rate, I'm thinking a kids as young as 4 could sincerely ask Christ into their hearts. Their faith would certainly grow over the years as they mature and can grasp more of the greatness of God, just as ours does as adults. Paul, in one or more of his letters mentions needing milk as babies and then needing meat as we grow. On the other hand though some 4 year olds are very likely to say such a thing, because they know it's what you want to hear... same thing with 7-12 year old campers really. In the end, you never can know someone's heart for certain, so it's our role as parents, mentors, and friends to just keep on praying and just keep on living for Christ everyday.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Katherine said...

I totally agree with you, so that probably doesn't help much! :) I don't know how I have never found your blog... :eyeroll: :)